Social Networking- Gabriel Garcia
Social media has made an impact on today’s
society since many people use it today along with growing over the past decade.
There are many ways to get to social media today through apps on the phone and especially
through tablets and through laptops. Social media has connected many
users today to where they can get access to one another that takes seconds. On
social media many people may feel connected or distant depending on how well
they know the person.
In the early 2000s social networking was just
on the rise as many people produced social networking sites so that people
could get on. Social networking sites included sites such as Friendster and
Myspace which was sold to Rupert Murdoch for $580 million. The most popular
social media site is Facebook which was created by Mark Zuckerberg in 2004.
According to class lecture, the innovation of Facebook was, “the first SNS to offer
a live customizable ‘News Feed’ of everyone’s updates right on your home page”.
Through this many people got east access to social media to where newspapers
started to decline as the years went on.
Today, many people through social networking
may also face cyber threats to where they may victimize through their device by
whoever may be attacking them on the other side. This could be through credit
card hacks or in some cases through bullying such as among teenagers. For
example, in Aversive Peer Experiences on Social Networking Sites:
Development of the Social Networking- Peer Experiences Questionnaires, states
that, “social networking sites may also lend themselves to a variety of aggressive
acts; in fact 88% of teens have observed other being mean or cruel on SNS.
Examples include ignoring or excluding others from activities, posting mean
comments or embarrassing photos, or spreading rumors in a public manner.”[1]
[1]
Landoll, La Greca. (2013). Aversive Peer Experiences on Social Networking Sites:
Development of the Social Networking -Peer Experiences Questionnaire, Journal
Research of Adolescent.
https://doi-org.libweb.lib.utsa.edu/10.1111/jora.12022
Hey Gabriel! I agree with your post. I think social networking has come a long way. Personally, I'm such a social media person. I like how you provided information on how media begun for our generation. I also like how you mentioned cyber threats coming from social media because not many think its a big deal but it truly is. I enjoyed your post. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHi Gabriel,
ReplyDeleteMore access through SNS means more vulnerability. We have the freedom to communicate with people we otherwise would not communicate with if SNS were not popular but given the advancement of technology, we can. Netiquette is not really practiced by a majority of people, ethics are loose when it is easy to not face any crime for wrongful actions that violent acts tend to create. I am glad you brought up this side of social networking because advancements can improve our ways for communication but there are these drawbacks that come included.
-Genesis Dellisanti
Gabriel, looking back I have noticed so much progress when it comes to social media platforms. I don't know about you, but my MySpace page was amazing. On a serious note, social media, like many things, can easily become dangerous and a violation of privacy. I think you did a great job on Blog #2!! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Gabriel, great job on this post. It is crazy to think how far social media has come. It is also crazy to think that Facebook is still the top dog. The platforms I am mostly on include Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok. Vine would also be among that group if it was still around. I think a lot of the older generation has not made the transition to newer forms of social media and that is why Facebook is still around as a top competitor. It is true that you are likely to be made a target on social media by hackers and scammers and trolls, luckily that has not happened to me, I think my passwords are too strong! Great job again.
ReplyDelete- David Medrano
Gabriel this is awesome. Social media has taken over so many platforms in todays day and age. You can see and do all kinds of things through it. I can see how the aggression with teens is showcased. People post some mean things and some people really take offense to it. I think Social Media needs to find a better way at sorting out the cyber bullying. In all reality, it can even runs someone life or career if it gets far enough (which I see). Its like anything, with good comes the bad. This is great blog post, and excited to see more from you!
ReplyDeleteHello! Yes I agree with you that social media does have a dark side and can cause people to be say/act in ways they normally wouldn't. The exposing and cancelling culture has ruined a lot of people's lives and can cause harm to an individual's life. Cyber bullying is another major issue that happens consistently and laws have been implemented to protect people from being bullied online due to the severity of this problem. It can be scary, but everyone has the power to create boundaries as to how much social media affects their real lives. Great post!
ReplyDelete- Genesis Aguilar
Hey Gabriel! I am glad to see that you wrote your blog about social media. I agree with you and I also believe that social media has grown into a its own genre of technology. It is crazy to think that times have come so far to where it is possible to integrate Virtual Reality into social network apps like Facebook. Social media has its cons like how you mentioned cyber bullying and identity theft. That is why we should be careful on what apps we grant permission to access our personal information. This is a great blog, anxious to come out successful in this course with you!
ReplyDelete-Jonathan Leija
Gabriel, thank you for this post. You touched on the reality of SNS for us. It brings us the ability to interact with our loved ones and keep up with friends, but is has also opened us to vulnerability. People are able to say just as many good things as bad things. It really shows you this interesting scope of humanity that we haven't been able to see in the past. I think SNS' could do a better job at protecting those of us who use it, and I think we all have a responsibility to try and be better people. All SNS really did is give people a platform to be who they really are, and sometimes that isn't a good thing.
ReplyDelete